Date: 11/15/18 7:51 pm
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...>
Subject: [obol] Wasco & Sherman County Birds - scouting trip
OBOLeros
Today Brodie Cass Talbott, Zach Schlanger and I visited some sites in Wasco and Sherman Counties. Notable birds included:
At Colombia Gorge Discovery Center; Zack found us a SWAMP SPARROW when phished up just barely out of the parking lot at a small cattail wetland west of the center and SW of the small pond (45.654724, -121.211253), the same bird was seen again around the pond and poorly photographed (see ebird).
At a small pond along Klindt Drive (45.6221,-121.2006) 6 WOOD DUCKS.
At the small cattail wetland near Bargeway Brewpub (45.6139,-121.1975), a many CEDAR WAXWINGS, a PRAIRIE FALCON, SORA and VIRGINIA RAIL made an odd combo.
Deschutes River SP yielded SNOW GOOSE, BARROW’S & COMMON GOLDENEYE, SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, PACIFIC WREN, (SOOTY) FOX SPARROWs, & we all saw a single LINCOLN SPARROW picked up by call by Brodie.
Returning down river to Celilo Park we scanned the river yielding a COMMON LOON on the big river, and several HOODED MERGANSERS in the backwaters near the boat ramp.
Seufert County Park near the Dalles Dam was kinda slow but Zack spotted a single AMERICAN DIPPER. It was in the the lower reaches of Fifteenmile Creek below I-84. Nice bird for so low in the watershed.
Our last stop was viewing Lone Pine Island in the river under the 197 bridge. Brodie picked out a PEREGRINE FALCON on the bridge structure, in the river we picked out many gulls including a pair of HERRING GULLS, Zack picked out a skulking MEW GULL hiding in bedrock outcrop.
I’m looking forward to our Oregon Birding Association trip to Wasco and Sherman counties on Saturday.
A fun day! My thanks to Brodie and Zack, who can add anything I (almost surely) forgot. Our lists are on eBird.
All the best
Ken Chamberlain
Portland

Join us on Facebook!