Date: 11/15/18 3:33 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wyola Pine Grosbeak? Cheshire hummingbird, Stebbins Pochard, etc.
Hi MassBirders,

This morning, after dropping my son at school, I stopped by Lake Wyola. A pair of Bald Eagles, an adult and another very close but with a trace of dark terminal band remaining in its tail, flew into view above the big pines to the west of the parking lot, calling and chasing around. Only birds on the water were a lone male Common Merganser, and a Common Loon which Keenan Yakola had photographed and posted on FaceBook the day before yesterday. But while there, I heard a distinctive call which I didn’t recognize, something that doesn’t happen every day. It was a two-part call, always two, never a lone call, never three or more. The cadence reminded me very much of a Winter Wren’s “jip-jip” call, but the voice was a bit different, and the call was coming from an area of residential yards with several tall conifers. I never saw the bird, which went silent before I could walk close enough to figure out its exact location. After listening to some recordings on Xeno-canto just now, I’ve convinced myself that I heard a Pine Grosbeak.

On my way home from there, noticed a really lovely adult Red-shouldered Hawk perched in somebody’s yard in Shutesbury.

At Barton Cove this morning, in addition to the rapidly growing mob of Hooded Mergansers already mentioned here by James Smith, the Surf Scoter was still present, for the 10th day now.

Late Monday morning, my son (age 12) and I were driving from his appointment in Florence to his sister’s school in Easthampton. Suddenly he blurts out from the back seat “Owl!” There were no cars behind me, so I stopped and backed up. Sure enough, a Barred Owl was perched in the woods not far from the roadside!

Relocated my four bird feeders that were dragged off by a bear several weeks ago, and straightened the hanging pole that the pesky critter had bent completely horizontal. So, ready to resume bird feeding, whenever I’m confident that the freeloader is asleep for the winter….

Libby Lord posted photos in the group “Western Mass Bird Photography” of a curious duck from the Fannie Stebbins refuge. It has been identified as a Baer’s Pochard. Comments on her post indicate that the bird has been present since October 7. It’s no Mandarin Duck, and not countable for ABA life lists, but folks birding the Springfield vicinity might want to know that it’s around…

And Greg Ward filed an eBird report yesterday of a hummingbird in Cheshire! Sadly appears to have a deformed or injured tongue. Reportedly has been present for at least two weeks. Doubt that it will last much longer, unless the homeowners are thawing out their feeder first thing every morning…. Kyron Hanson notes that Greg’s photos confirm the bird as a Ruby-throated, based on a thin outer primary and other characters.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49940222 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49940222>

Good birding!

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA

Webmaster, Hampshire Bird Club
https://hampshirebirdclub.org/

Northeast Chapter, Dragonfly Society of the Americas
https://bryanpfeiffer.com/nedsa2018/

http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

Join us on Facebook!