Date: 11/15/18 12:04 am
From: Vaughn Rhoden <vrhoden...>
Subject: [obol] Long Eared Owl at Ridgefield NWR
Does anyone know the fate of the Owl observed from the River S loop last month? It appeared to have an injured wing.

#1: From: Stephen Holzman <steveholzman2...>
Subject: [obol] Barn Owl - Hatfield Marine Science Center - Lincoln C
#2: From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sparrow ID help
#3: From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos/Curry Birds of late
#4: From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] Magnolia Warbler at Ona Beach SP on 11/13
#5: From: Kathleen Krall <krallfamily...>
Subject: [obol] TILLAMOOK EAST Raptor Run November 13, 2018
#6: From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Smoke from CA fires - affecting Klamath Basin?
#7: From: michael krall <michaelkrall670...>
Subject: [obol] Very dark juvenile red-tail hawk (versus Harlan's)- T
#8: From: Kevin Smith <kevinsmithnaturephotos...>
Subject: [obol] Culver RR
#9: From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
#10: From: Mary Lee Sayre <maryleesayre...>
Subject: [obol] Snow Geese, Oakridge
#11: From: Janet and Phil Lamberson <pjlamberson...>
Subject: [obol] Mary's Peak yesterday
#12: From: Russ Morgan <morganreid...>
Subject: [obol] Rock Sandpiper, Lincoln County
#13: From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [obol] ECAS Wednesday - mostly Jefferson county, LONG-TAILE
#14: From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] South Beach SP--2 Horned Larks on 11/12 (Lincoln Co.)

Msg: #1 in digest
From: Stephen Holzman <steveholzman2...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 06:40:35 -0800
Subject: [obol] Barn Owl - Hatfield Marine Science Center - Lincoln County

Sometimes it pays to get to work early. While making a turn into the Hatfield MSC my headlights caught a large bird flying into a small tree. I was able to get the bird in my headlights and view with it with binoculars. The distinctive barn owl face looked back at me for a few minutes before it continued off to the south. I know eBird doesn't tell the whole story but I did find some records from 8/31/2018 and some from 10/05/2012. There is also a record from 10/22/2017 at the South Jetty. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to build and install a Barn Owl box on Hatfield? Hoo doesn't love owls?

Steve Holzman
Newport, OR

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:00:48 -0800

Well I have tried to id subspecies. First issue is to decide which subspecies you will look for. I have based my info on Rising and Beadle, Birds of Oregon, Pyle's Vol 1 and this paper:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/50914233_Concordant_and_Discordant_Signals_Between_Genetic_Data_and_Described_Subspecies_of_Pacific_Coast_Song_Sparrows

I have a list of the possible subspecies based on this info and I try to cram each bird into one of the subspecies I have decided are possible for Oregon.

Assume winter sparrows may not be the same as summer birds, and assume Song Sparrows move to riparian areas and south (even down from SE Alaska or
beyond) during winter. Happy hunting and good luck, you will need it. But it can be fun, I botched my most interesting meeting with a Song Sparrow, found a monster of a bird along the Deschutes River and messed up the photos I was counting on to id the thing. Wish I could see that one again.

Bob Archer
PDX

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 8:08 PM Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
wrote:

> Tim,
>
> That is a Song Sparrow. It does appear rather pale and streaked on the
> back, likely indicating a different subspecies than you currently expect.
>
> Speaking of which, who out here has cracked the Song Sparrow code by
> the way and can give a break down of the myriad regional subspecies?
> I’d love to hear from that person if he/she exists.
>
> Good Birding,
> -Nick Mrvelj (Portland)
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 8:00 PM Tim <timberwolf69...> wrote:
>
>> Saw this little guy in North Bend when I was checking out some ducks
>> and a nice group of Greater Yellowlegs. I'll hold off on my guess
>> after looking at ID sites.
>>
>> Tim Gannon
>> Reedsport

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:10:48 -0800

Eric Clough was out canoeing on upper Coos Bay last Saturday to scout for the 25 Nov Pacific Flyway Shorebird Survey. In addition to a 1,000 Dunlin and 10s of BBPL he had three LB Curlew or Whimbrel fly over that he didn’t see well enough to ID to species. I was out at Moldycoma Marsh on Monday PM and saw lots of shorebirds roosting on wood off in the bay including a couple of larger shorebirds that appeared to be godwits or curlews (did not have my scope). I went out with scope yesterday PM but saw no larger
shorebirds- dang. I did have a calling yellowthroat near 2nd kiosk (where I have just started putting seed down) and a quiet Swamp Sparrow that popped up in full view without calling. I usually hear but do not see this species so to see it well and not hear anything was a bit strange! All the kiosks have been re-built at marsh, looking really nice!!
Last weekend Mike Seedborg saw 4 Snow Geese with other geese flying over N Spit Coos Bay.

I talked to Terry Wahl yesterday and on Monday he had Say’s Phoebes on both their upper and lower ranches near Cape Blanco/Langlois, Curry. On the lower ranch he has had a blue phase Snow Goose for two weeks which was joined by another Snow Goose on Monday. He says the ranch is jammed with Cacklers (Aleutians and minima minimas) as well as regular Canadas- not something he normally sees this late in November or in this big of numbers.

Happy birding!
Tim R

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:58:31 -0800

Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia) (1)
- Reported Nov 13, 2018 13:20 by Andrew Raymond
- Ona Beach SP, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.5213563,-124.0740108&ll=44.5213563,-124.0740108
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "First sighted at 2:12 PM. Found at about eye level in the leafy trees favored by the Red-breasted Sapsucker (rows of sapwells very obvious) along Beaver Creek near Highway 101 bridge at the edge of the parking lot where the two picnic tables are.

We watched it on and off for about 40 minutes as it was bouncing among the branches hanging above the water in loose association with some sparrows. A huge thank you to everyone who had reported it previously and got the word out."

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
From: Kathleen Krall <krallfamily...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:55:01 -0800

It was great to be back out counting raptors! Mike and I drove 55 miles in 4 hours. There was no rain or wind, but it was hazy due to the CA fire smoke drifting north.
Red-tailed Hawk 27
Rough-legged Hawk 1
Northern Harrier 4
White-tailed Kite 4
Peregrine Falcon 1
Bald Eagle 2
American Kestrel 8

No Red-shouldered hawks
No accipiters or owls

Three of the kites, including one young one, were sitting on the airport fence. These were probably the same birds seen by Ken Chamberlin and Erik Bergman and their Audubon group last week.

Kathy and Michael Krall
“The surface of a slate grey lake is lit By the earthed lightning of a flock of swans...”

Seamus Heaney

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:19:21 -0800

Hi All -
How are things in the Klamath Basin area with respect to air quality and smoke the California fires? We were thinking about a Klamath trip over Thanksgiving, but if visibility and air quality is poor then maybe we should reconsider...

Thanks for any and all advice...

Nagi & Taghrid.

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
From: michael krall <michaelkrall670...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:28:44 -0800
Subject: [obol] Very dark juvenile red-tail hawk (versus Harlan's)- Tillamook

On our Tillamook East raptor route yesterday, we saw an extremely dark juvenile red-tail hawk on McCormick Loop Road. We considered that it was a Harlan's hawk but ruled it out because of color tones (this bird was more brownish), lack of mottling on breast, and slight rufous on tail. We'd be interested in other thoughts. Photos can be seen at:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49934356

Michael and Kathy Krall

------------------------------

Msg: #8 in digest
From: Kevin Smith <kevinsmithnaturephotos...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 14:59:07 -0800

Kei and I did the Culver RR today and only got 43 birds of the following persuasions.
27 Red-tailed Hawks

10 American Kestrels

 1 Northern Harrier

 3 Prairie Falcons

 2 Great Horned Owls

43 Total but had 200+ House Finches in one flock!

Kevin

------------------------------

Msg: #9 in digest
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 00:05:37 +0000

"ܲ
(u¸«v)àjÐޖ֏¢wl¶¬šŠçŠxÿYèZvÊ&zw°vç$±ú+¶¬y«(©Ýiö¢®ö«‰ër¡ùèŸöª¹«bq¸«vÏöiÛ¥´F •ë—(§‚Ú zØ^¯¬{"¶)àjwZ¶«tZrCá¡æÞÁ«ž'²êé®+ýŠ{0z·Ÿ–‡$yÖ­i·š®)à~»¢¶ÚÞy©Ýjf¬²‡à¢W_Šw!zÌ­æ趫Šx-…ç(ë(§uªÿ·*^¶·žýgš–Ê!iÖ§‰ÇŸ–‡$¡ö–Z0þ»¦¦Çš®\š–‰à¶©jØÿYêZ®GjÛaxßÖrŠçzº¶•jY^ɯzºZ®H§‚Z-þw±¶Ú-…êâ½êÿjÛazËZ®Ú¶ƒz[Z>‰Ý²ÚÚŠ_øêÊ^r'¬ ©Úu¡¨¢Ç¥zË-…©õÓE¨¡ÐîrNtøÚ+¶«(h½é^¯]†iÜ–YâqæîÈZÛjÛ^­ç`®‹©²f²mîùg«‰Æ§Z(¢}ô1©ej·\¢i¨œjÞzðŠxu7š—­Šxÿç$yÐîrMù-ë,z´œjêuäŸ~W¡y§uØ*&š‰Æ¢W^ìžèz(uçLz¸žÇ«ëú'zf¥yùZ®)à†+!¢‡ÿ>'ý¸¥•çF­æÞð çkÿÿ°{¦š)àn*ÝÔ ž®'œ*(·]Š[(Ÿÿÿ±)â¥íF­æ­z¶–Z0•è,Ù§ƒöâ–WéeÜiZ¹Ê.³ü"ž éeØk¥–Ê^r'¬ÜjÞjÐe¹áÞ®‰ú·
´H+zÝÁjWDj ^Ù§n–Û¢Š^¯ÿÿ°v°“T^wû!¢é]z·¬$Ô¥µçJŠxŠÈ^¯³h®Ø^®qe‰É¯peiɆ‡›{pš–'è®xšIÊîoòZËÀ&z¸œjp«£tVœ“÷¦—
œ‘§^{€n²b¶Éš–Wå¡É{œ“ÿÿ±jÞŸa¨•×§ýÊèÂw*)à•ëuå›Ë÷+£ Þt¨§‚W­ä ž®'Š}ôêè¥æ§JÖ«–)à}ì
zˬj%uø§rÞÂh±yÜ"¶ax ž®'žÀ&z¸œjq¨•×âÈyÑ*h¶×NŒ!yîR¢x¥ªë£
¢W^Ÿ÷+£ Þu*Z®º0Ø6«“÷²yÒnÊ6EçÿÂ)àyÐeiÉŠ·zaée£ëºj^uf«nW«ÛO“£ ìzwÿÿûj¶åz½Czyâ°
ޝÛÿ&çr¶§ÍéÿY^œ&§¶Šÿ&)‘z¥‹ôè˜&›•ïÊŠÒڮǧý+^½àâ‚v¦ý+žë\†)ì¢Íjw2
Z ²Ú'ý©Ý-ªëÈǹç§

------------------------------

Msg: #10 in digest
From: Mary Lee Sayre <maryleesayre...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:31:42 -0800

Went to count RING-NECKED DUCKS at the Oakridge mill site…150. On my way out spotted 2 juvenile SNOW GEESE grazing on grass. My first time of seeing these at this site.

Mary Lee Sayre
Oakridge, OR
------------------------------

Msg: #11 in digest
From: Janet and Phil Lamberson <pjlamberson...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 17:00:20 -0800

Nice day, overcast and hazy but no rain and little wind. No Snow Bunting, but just before I reached the summit, I met a USFS truck coming down after inspecting the electrical facilities - he might have scared off any birds that were there. I did get a few photos of Sooty Grouse on the way up to the parking area https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49941054

------------------------------

Msg: #12 in digest
From: Russ Morgan <morganreid...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 17:19:42 -0800

Hi Birders,
After several days of birding the greater Depot Bay Area, and looking closely at rock-dwelling shorebirds, I finally found a single Rock Sandpiper on the sandstone bluffs at Devils Punchbowl. It was near high tide and was preening and resting with a fairly large turnstone/surfbird flock.
Russ Morgan

Sent from my iPad

------------------------------

Msg: #13 in digest
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 17:56:42 -0800
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [obol] ECAS Wednesday - mostly Jefferson county, LONG-TAILED DUCK Sut

OBOL,

Birded feeders belonging to Jake Schas (thanks Jake), Best Western area (no Pinyons) and on up to Suttle Lake, on this blustery day. Suttle Lake highlights include a LONG-TAILED DUCK at campground end, both Goldeneye species, 1 Greater Scaup with 3 Lessers. Not all could see field marks definitively. Choppy water made it difficult to scope for distant ducks and impossible from the other end at the Day Use area. At the bridge when entering the lodge area, 2 Am Dippers and 2 Yellow-rumps were nice. In town at the Village Greens Park, our day ended with a flock of Wild Turkeys in the park and Toni spotted another group a few blocks away. Thanks to ebirders Diane Burgess and Mary Shivell and (?)others, and to Toni and Mark who got photos to attach later to the ebird lists.
This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net

Canada Goose - near Sisters
Lesser Scaup
GREATER SCAUP
Long-tailed Duck
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Barrow's Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser - 25 or so, no Red-breasted, one brief "candidate" got away California Quail - Jake's yard WILD TURKEYS - in Sisters Pied-billed Grebe Eared Grebe Western Grebe Bald Eagle Red-tailed Hawk American Coot Eurasian Collared-Dove White-headed Woodpecker - at Best Western in Sisters Hairy Woodpecker Northern Flicker Steller's Jay Western Scrub-Jay Common Raven Mountain Chickadee Red-breasted Nuthatch Pygmy Nuthatch Brown Creeper American Dipper Golden-crowned Kinglet Townsend's Solitaire Hermit Thrush American Robin European Starling Yellow-rumped Warbler Dark-eyed Junco Golden-crowned Sparrow - at Jake's House Finch Total number of species seen: 38 Birders today: John Unruh, Peter Perry and Toni Morozumi, Howard Horvath, Sue Bertsch, Sherrie Pierce, Mary Shivell, Diane Burgess, Cindy Zalunardo, Mark Neudorfer, and Judy Meredith. Next week, high lakes if weather permits, otherwise watch for alternative birding location. Good birding, Judy, <jmeredit...>

Msg: #14 in digest
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 19:26:16 -0800