Date: 11/14/18 5:23 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCRWA (Gilroy) treatment ponds
Folks:

I visited the South County Regional Wastewater Authority treatment ponds
in Gilroy this morning, 11/14/18.  They are letting water into one of
the western Obata Ponds, otherwise the only water was in the entrance
pond.  The entrance pond had lots of ducks and included a single male
EURASIAN WIGEON and three BLUE-WINGED TEAL, two males and a female.  I
saw only two LOGGERHEAD SHRIKES during my visit.  I walked from the
South Ponds down to Bloomfield and back along Llagas Creek and was
surprised to see a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER in the riparian, the first I've
seen in 55 visits.  A few gnatcatchers overwinter in the county, but
most of our summer residents leave in late July and early August and
return in early March.  Overwintering birds are found more or less
regularly from September to February. Sometimes these overwintering
birds are referred to as "half-hardies," but based on the Palo Alto
summer and winter counts, the ratio is closer to a thousand-to-one.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park