Date: 11/14/18 11:18 am
From: Soheil Zendeh <sohzendeh...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Next Bear Creek, Saugus, walk on Sunday November 18, 2018, at 9 am; report for Nov 11 walk
Folks,

The next walk at Bear Creek Sanctuary is scheduled for 9 am on Sunday, November 18. Details for attending Bear Creek walks are at the end of this email.

A chilly windy day on Sunday, November 11, suppressed passerine activity, though in the end we found good-sized flock of a few grassland species -- Horned Larks, American Pipits and Snow Buntings. Shorebirds and waterfowl were relatively scarce. But we got to watch a Killdeer pursued by a Peregrine over our heads. The Killdeer got away.

The ebird list, kindly tended to by Sebastian Jones, is appended below:

Bear Creek Sanctuary (restricted access), Essex, Massachusetts, US
Nov 11, 2018 9:28 AM - 12:38 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.66 mile(s)
43 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 119
Mallard 1
American Black Duck 12
White-winged Scoter 2
Bufflehead 30
Wild Turkey 12
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 5
Mourning Dove 1
Killdeer 3
Wilson's Snipe 1
Greater Yellowlegs 1
shorebird sp. 3
Ring-billed Gull 6
Herring Gull 15
Great Black-backed Gull 3
Common Loon 1
Double-crested Cormorant 29
Great Blue Heron 7
Northern Harrier 1
Cooper's Hawk 2
Red-tailed Hawk 5
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Merlin 1
Peregrine Falcon 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 4
Horned Lark 60
Black-capped Chickadee 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
American Robin 7
Northern Mockingbird 2
European Starling 80
American Pipit 15
American Goldfinch 6
Snow Bunting 20
White-crowned Sparrow 2 Both juv
White-throated Sparrow 2
Savannah Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 16
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 1
House Sparrow 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49933078

Bear Creek is an upland grassland sanctuary built on the Wheelabrator (formerly RESCO) landfill at the northern end of Rumney Marsh in Saugus and Revere. Access information is below. Wear good walking shoes and be prepared to hike 3 – 4 miles. The property is mostly very open, so be prepared for sun, wind and weather.

This walk is free and open to the public, but also note that this property is accessible by invitation only and visitors need to be chaperoned at all times. Please allow roughly 4 hours for this field trip. The actual length of the trip depends on conditions and the birds present. It's usually difficult to break up the party if you need to be somewhere in the early afternoon. Come prepared to stay with the group.

Wheelabrator company has graciously stocked up on some extra pairs of binoculars, so if you or someone you know wants to learn about birds and birding, come on down. Please let me know you’re coming so we can have a head count.

Bear Creek sanctuary access is via the Wheelabrator plant, 100 Salem Turnpike (Rte 107), Saugus. The rotary at the intersection of Rtes 60 and 107 is about 1½ miles southwest of the plant and about 1 mile east of Rte 1 exit on Rte 60. When traveling northeast on 107, if you go over the Ballard Street bridge (just after a set of lights) you’ve gone too far — turn back. Here is a link to google maps:
http://tinyurl.com/326v87d

When you arrive, drive through the plant gates, park in the parking lot immediately and wait for the group. Please do not drive farther into the property without an escort.

Soheil Zendeh
Lexington, MA 02421

Join us on Facebook!