Date: 11/14/18 12:00 am
From: Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Continuing Summer Tanager; Common birds in uncommon locations
Hi all
Probably spent too much time outdoors today given the smoke, but there were some interesting moments.
On a quick walk-through of Alta Plaza Park I spotted three Meadowlarks, not on the lawns but rather perched atop the evergreens near the northeast corner. What they were doing way up there I have no idea.
Spent the noon hour and a bit more at Lafayette Park, joined for much of the time by Cliff Yap. I was able to re-locate the female Summer Tanager, now perching in and flycatching from the eucs on the east side across from the condo building. There were also some interesting mixed groups of sparrows; at one point a White-throated, White-crowned and Fox sparrow were all foraging together. A Ruby-crowned Kinglet somewhat incongruously explored a cavity in a tree, perhaps foraging for spiders. And there was also an Oriole, probably a female (or immature) Hooded, though its extensive full yellow coloration and small, straight beak raise the possibility that it may have been an Orchard Oriole - too bad it quickly went into hiding and we were unable to get photos. Complete list and my photos at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49925696
This fall continues to yield surprises - let's hope the weather favors the firefighters and there are no more disasters.
Richard BradusSan Francisco

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>

Join us on Facebook!