Date: 11/13/18 9:03 am
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Immature Harris's Sparrow at Monte Vista Refuge
Well the snow and cold seem to have slowed down the birds a bit. Very few
cranes around the Valley and only saw 2 this morning on the 1S road east of
the 3E.

Home Lake is nearly all frozen, except for a small pool where Canada Geese,
American Wigeon and other ducks are keeping it open. A Kingfisher was
perched along the canal and a Great Blue Heron (yesterday). It was 5 below
zero this morning!

At the 8S observation turnout at the Monte Vista Refuge, was an
immature Harris's Sparrow (Rio Grande County). We only have a handful of
records for the San Luis Valley. Check it out and look for it in the brushy
areas.

Sometimes it seems that when I leave my camera at home, I am sure to see
something cool. Well it happened last Friday near Fort Garland when a
Northern Pygmy-owl flew into a nearby tree. All I could do was look and
appreciate it and remind myself to take the camera as if it were like
dressing up. Unfortunately, the owl was on a private ranch.

It also was a day to start thinking about Christmas Bird Counts. They are
not too far ahead.

Enjoy the birds!

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO