Date: 11/12/18 2:25 pm
From: stracey53 via Groups.Io <stracey53=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Mountain Bluebirds at Shoreline
All,
While watching for the Chestnut-collared Longspur with other birders this morning at the kite flying area at Shoreline, at what was around 10:00 to 10:30, David Zittin called out a Mountain Bluebird down the fence line.  As I tried unsuccessfully to get on the bird, David and Bill Bousman saw it fly off towards Crittenden Marsh and A2E (I believe Bill just got a glimpse and not enough to confirm the ID).  After 30 to 40 minutes of searching, I decided to walk down to the end of the parking area, hoping the bird was just on the other side of the hill.  After about 10-15 minutes of nothing I gave up and started to walk back when two birds being chased by a third smaller bird coming from the parking lot flew right over my head back to where I was just looking for the bluebird.  One landed on a visible post and I got a lot of blue, so I walked back and eventually found the two birds in the distance along the side of the hill.  One was perched on a white pole while the other was hovering 20 feet above the ground.  I was able to get some distant photos of the perched bird before after about two minutes they both took off heading high towards Crittenden Marsh, and unfortunately not showing any signs of circling around to return as I watched them.
The attached link has my distant, highly cropped, pretty bad photo of the perched bird, which looks pretty good for Mountain Bluebird.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_t53/44034463220/in/dateposted/

Steve TraceySan Jose