Date: 11/12/18 12:17 pm
From: Chris Johnson <ryanjohnson77...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Common Yellowthroat Calls
Yesterday at Don Edwards I heard an interesting call coming from the marsh and found a Common Yellowthroat male making this call (https://www.xeno-canto.org/30788, https://www.xeno-canto.org/283273). It's a very thin, sharp call, pretty unlike like their normal, multi-frequency ("fat") variant (https://www.xeno-canto.org/293319, https://www.xeno-canto.org/66347). I am left to reflect on all my undetected COYEs.

I wondered if other birders have heard this variation before and with what frequency. Xeno Canto seems to suggest it's an atypical alarm call.

The Ruddy Turnstone (countybird!) was present during my visit but the AMGP was distinctly absent (head shake... 3 times is not the charm).

Good Birding!

Chris Johnson
San Jose, CA