Date: 11/11/18 10:47 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Interesting/challenging Birding Sat.

Thanks to Strickland Wheelock for the following post.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 13:45:56 +0000 (UTC)
From: Strickland Wheelock <skwheelock...>
Subject: Interesting/challenging Birding Sat.

Drumlin Farm had a birding trip to Salisbury Beach/Plum Island Sat 11/10
under very challenging weather conditions - misty cold rain with light winds
all morning and blasting cold winds in the afternoon - making birding not
ideal but in the end, we found 65 species including several surprises as a
reward for perseverance.Our 1st stop was Putnamville Reservoir where we
hoped for the Western Kingbird but not to be found - what we did find to
my surprise was a mixed flock of warblers [Blk-thr Blue, a few Blackpolls,
Palm, Yellow-rumps & a Common Yellowthroat] plus Ruby-c Kinglets mixed
in - in the reservoir, a pair of Pied-billed and 1 Horned Grebe plus
Ruddies, Buffleheads & Greater Scaup - sure there more species out
there but the cold mist blowing in our face cut our time short - the
warbler show in Nov was totally unexpected but fun.Next stop was to see
if we could find the Pink-footed Goose recently reported and at our 1st
stop, there was the bird close up for great viewing - life bird for many
Onward to Salisbury Beach & again, the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was
gone & even the reliable Barred Owl was missing - however many good
things [still misty & raw] replaced them - in the marsh we had a
Peregrine Falcon, Northern Harriers and Red-tails, in the campground
a large flock of Snow Buntings kept landing yards away from us
[great show] and in the channel, many great birds escaping the pounding
surf for close looks - a Razorbill being the top bird along with
Red-necked Grebes, Red-thr & Common Loons, Black & Wht-winged Scoters,
many C Eiders, Red-b Mergansers, D-c Cormorants, Sanderlings, Dunlin
and a few Purple Sandpipers. Once we got to Plum Island, the rain had
stopped but the cold winds were blasting making birding a challenge
to say the least - however we found some great birds - a Clay-colored
Sparrow at the maintenance area that just sat there for everyone to
get great looks, Rough-legged Hawks feeding close to the road &
catching prey near us, other raptors was a Kestral, N Harriers and
a Cooper's Hawk, in the water were many N Pintails, Coot, Ruddy
Ducks, Gadwalls, Buffleheads along with loads of Black Ducks. - at
Sandy Point, a quick scan out in the ocean, hundreds of all 3 scoters
were flying non-stop along with C Eiders, some distant N Gannets plus
a flock of Dunlin flew by - at this point, we needed to head back
to Drumlin Farm - definitely happy to escape the high bone chilling
winds Given the conditions, we were very pleased with seeing so
many great birds over the day - many close up!

Strickland Wheelock
Dan Fournier

Join us on Facebook!