Date: 11/10/18 8:09 pm
From: 'Elizabeth Van Dyke' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Red-footed Booby Images
Hi MBB Fans of the Red-footed Booby,

As promised, I now have the photographs posted showing a Brown Pelican attacking the juvenile Red-footed Booby. See details below in my November 7, 2018 MBB postings. The bird survived. The first two images are of the attack. There are also images of the Red-footed Booby by itself and interactions between this bird and Brown Pelicans. I am revising my web site and it is temporarily down, so I posted the photos on flickr. They can be found under my name on flickr or at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdwoman99/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdwoman99/>

There has been conjecture regarding why the Brown Pelican may have attacked the Red-footed Booby. I observed two Brown Pelicans mating on that same perch later that day. It appears the Brown Pelican wanted the Red-footed Booby out of Pelican mating territory.

I also highly recommend Lisa Fay Larson’s flickr site for pictures of the Red-Footed Booby and more. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lisafay/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/lisafay/>. She was also there to witness the attack on the Red-footed Booby.

Elizabeth Van Dyke
Santa Cruz

=====

On Nov 7, 2018, at 11:53 AM, 'Elizabeth Van Dyke' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> wrote:

The Red-footed Booby is back! I was in my car ready to leave the park and decided to walk the wharf again to check for the Red-footed Booby one last time. As of 11:50AM today it was back preening on the usual perch on the Cement Ship pier on the fence with the 4 concrete pillars. Whew~!

Elizabeth Van Dyke
Santa Cruz
Sent from Elizabeth's iPhone

=====