Date: 11/10/18 6:17 pm
From: Steve Rottenborn <srottenborn...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Chestnut-collared Longspur, Shoreline Park
I understand that someone posted on North Bay Birds that this is a Smith's Longspur. It's not. As Matthew Dodder has noted, the primary projection on this bird is short - that on Smith's is very long. The edging on the median and greater coverts and scapulars of this bird is drab (buff), not warmer rufous as on a Smith's. The frame on the auriculars is not as dark and well-defined as that of a Smith's, the streaking on the underparts is more blurry than on a Smith's, and photos of the tail pattern (when the bird was in flight) show extensive white, on more than just the outer two pairs of rectrices, with the dark central area expanding toward the tip - classic Chestnut-collared pattern, and not shown by Smith's. The bird repeatedly gave a three-note "tri-li-lip" call in flight, ever a staccato rattle - again, typical of a Chestnut-collared.

Steve Rottenborn