Date: 11/9/18 9:02 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Sunnyvale WPCP oxidation ponds etc.
Folks:

This morning, 11/9/18, I walked west on the Bay Trail to the southeast
corner of Pond A3W, then back and out to where the three recirculation
channels distribute effluent.  From there I could count the nearer ducks
in the east and west ponds.  While walking west on the Bay Trail, there
was a male BLUE-WINGED TEAL in the Lockheed Martin channel beside the
trail.  At A3W I wanted to count the REDHEADS that Matthew Dodder
reported a couple days ago.  I counted by 1's in the eastern part of the
pond (among thousands of Ruddies), then switched to 5's in the western
part.  My final tally was 1066 birds.  For many years, our maximum daily
count over any one year was in the hundreds, sometimes fewer.  In 2011,
we had the first report of triple digits on any one day when Mike Rogers
and Steve Rottenborn found 1085 on the Alviso ponds on the CBC.  In the
last three years, the maximum counts have been 2079, 2938, and 3288.
One explanation is that the former salt ponds are now connected to the
Bay and this has changed the food resources in the favor of this
species.  A similar increase, but not as dramatic has been in the
numbers of Bufflehead and Common Goldeneyes in the Alviso ponds.

On my walk back, I saw a female GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE along the Bay
Trail, then three males at the edge of the east pond.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park