Date: 11/8/18 7:09 pm
From: Will Cook <cwcook...>
Subject: Re: Could this be the year?
On the Chapel Hill CBC, the first record of Evening Grosbeak was of 40
in 1959 (our first CBC was in 1923). Peak year was 1980 with 590,
outnumbering American Goldfinch. Last one (1) was 2004, plus a count
week bird in 2012.

When present, Evening Grosbeaks often linger late into spring. On the
Chapel Hill Spring Bird Count, our first record was of 8 in 1952, the
first year of the count. Peak was 137 in 1982, last one was 1 in 1998.

Probably wishful thinking, but you might want to stock up on sunflower
seed - they're greedy pigs!

Will Cook - Durham, NC

On 11/8/2018 4:46 PM, Norman Budnitz (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
> I just looked at our records for the Jordan Lake (NC) Christmas Count.
> The last time we had Evening Grosbeaks (10 of them) on the count was
> in December, 2003. Prior to that, we had them on about 70% of the
> counts going all the way back to 1977, when the count began. In
> January, 2000, we had 131, but usually we recorded numbers in double
> digits. In January, 1982, we had 254.
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 4:00 PM Harry LeGrand <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>>
>> As a second reminder, if you have never heard one before, you really need to play the call recording on your bird app(s), or go to You Tube or XenoCanto to listen to bird calls -- now. Your first one, if this winter, will likely be heard only, calling overhead. For example, I have HEARD Pine Siskin and Purple Finch in Wake County this fall but have yet to see one. The call sounds a lot like a Flicker call to me, but one syllabled -- TEER!. So -- you need to do more than just study paintings, photos, and videos of Evening Grosbeaks if you have never seen/heard it before. Learn and know the call note(s)!
>>
>> Harry LeGrand
>>
>> PS -- As with Merrill, I have seen and heard hundreds or thousands of them in NC, and I have probably banded about 50 of them. The deep V marks on my fingers have healed over time! But, it has also been 15-20 years for me as well for getting one in NC.
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:08 PM "J. Merrill Lynch" <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Birders,
>>>
>>> Some of you probably weren’t even born yet when evening grosbeaks were annual winter visitors to the Carolinas, often in large numbers. The last ones I recall seeing in NC were in Apex (where I lived at the time) back in the mid-late ‘90’s.
>>>
>>> Since then the irruptions in our area have essentially ended and the species has declined significantly across much of its primarily Canadian breeding grounds.
>>>
>>> There are indications that this winter has potential for at least a few birds to make it to our area. There have already been a number of reports in the northeast as far south as Maryland.
>>>
>>> So keep your eyes and ears open!
>>>
>>> Merrill
>>>
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.allaboutbirds.org_this-2Dcould-2Dbe-2Dthe-2Dwinter-2Dyou-2Dget-2Devening-2Dgrosbeaks-2Dat-2Dyour-2Dfeeder_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=_gokesi2wxqy6kMsPvUvb-LxgbAFeRDC-4wMRUORMu8&s=tbvZwF1IRsoS_o5dwN9qsDNT8YZN2uigyiruS8fYhFM&e=
>>>
>>> Merrill Lynch
>>> Echo Valley Farm
>>> Watauga County, NC
>>> Sent from my iPhone