Date: 11/8/18 4:51 pm
From: Sheree Daugherty <shereedaugherty...>
Subject: Crawford Co - Greater White-fronted Geese , Loons, Gulls
A good day of birding Pymatuning with Virginia McQuown and Bob Van Newkirk.

In addition to the two GWFG that I hastily e-mailed earlier today at Hartstown, a nice variety of waterfowl was spotted.

Hundreds of Bonaparte’s Gulls were in the air and on the water at the Fish Hatchery. Swimming through the lotus, their posture reminded me of phalaropes. Also at the hatchery were rafts of Common Mergansers, Ring-neck Ducks, Bufflehead, Gadwall, Northern Shovelers and a few Bald Eagles.

A couple of dozen Common Loons were counted while driving across the causeway. Most were on the northern side and I’m certain that many more would have been found if there had been a safe place to park and scope. Three Horned Grebes and rafts of Ruddy Ducks were seen from the parking area.

Highlights:

Greater White-fronted Geese 2
American Wigeon
N Shoveler
Ring-neck Duck
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Ruddy Ducks
Common Loons
Horned Grebe
Bald Eagles
Kestrels 3
American Coot
Sand Hill Cranes (seen at hatchery, Miller’s pond, Hartstown project)
Bonapartes Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker (Tuttle, at least 5)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Tuttle, at least 3)
Brown Creeper

Sheree Daugherty
Allegheny Co

Sheree Daugherty