Date: 11/8/18 3:43 pm
From: Cuyler Stapelmann <cuylerstapelmann...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Bunting at Gaviota State Beach
I should add that scope is recommended to view the location where Mark saw
the bunting (see coordinates in his original email). If standing on the
bank of the creek, look all the way upstream (to the left) where the creek
bends. At the bend on the opposite bank of the creek, there is a shallow
area between some scirpus and cattails that birds frequently come down to
water; this is the spot where the bunting was seen (not by me).

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:26 PM Cuyler Stapelmann <cuylerstapelmann...>
wrote:

> A total of four birders were looking for the painted bunting between 12
> and 2:20, when I left not having seen any buntings. The gray catbird
> continues, and it literally almost flew into me while I was in a "blind"
> formed by a nicotiana sapling. Otherwise, a Northern harrier was flying
> east over the canyon closer to the tunnel and passerine activity seemed low
> (except for the house finches) compared to the weekend.
>
> Cuyler
> SB
>
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 10:08 AM Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
> wrote:
>
>> Not Varied— *Painted!*
>> Coming to N side of creek to drink.
>> Bird is at 34.47317 -120.22856
>> I obtained a few crummy but usable digitscoped photos. The bird is about
>> 70 m to my west, upcreek.
>> Belly pale yellow green, crown and back brighter green, no wing bars.
>>
>> Mark Holmgren
>> Sta Barbara

View/Reply Online (#27923): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27923
-=-=-