Date: 11/8/18 3:23 pm
From: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Gaviota
Re parking: you can park for free if you have the proper state pass
("Golden Poppy" Pass for example).

Otherwise you can park for free just west of the park along Hollister Ranch
Rd (turn right + uphill before you enter the campsite).

Wim

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 2:59 PM Thomas Turner <habarimbu...> wrote:

> What is going on at Gaviota?! I would love to hear from some of the locals
> that have been birders a while about this. In the last few days there was
> been a Varied Bunting, Painted Bunting, Sage Thrasher, Catbird, Bobolink,
> and more. Obviously this is partly due to all the skilled birders going
> there look for the bunting Wes found — but there are plenty of places with
> lots of effort that don’t have so many rare birds.
>
> Looking at eBird, it doesn’t seem like Gaviota gets tons of Fall effort
> (compared to, say, Refugio SB), but there are certainly people going there
> this year and in recent years. My understanding is that it used to be a
> great vagrant spot due to its tamarisks, and those are no longer there.
> Obviously it has some geographic advantages, but I thought it had been
> pretty quiet in the last decade. Any thoughts as to why there is so much
> there at the moment?
>
> Perhaps it is a place that actually does get a lot of vagrants, but they
> are hard to see and/or move through quickly? It seems like each new visit
> missing the previous rarities but finds new ones!
>
> Also, any general advice about birding there (parking, where to look) is
> welcome. I have only been there a couple times.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts,
>
> Tom Turner
>
> Goleta

View/Reply Online (#27920): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27920