Date: 11/8/18 3:13 pm
From: pdxjmorris . <pdxjmorris...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Boiler Bay lawn Aleutians
There was a group of 200+ cackling geese at the ponds along Dawson Creek in
Hillsboro at lunchtime today. A fair number of them, I believe, are
Aleutians, basing this primarily on shape of the bill / face and the white
collar. There was also several that had almost black wings. They had the
bronzy chest of the Aleutians, but no color and very dark wings. I can
post some pictures a little later if so desired.

- Joseph

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 12:54 PM Phil Pickering <philliplc...>
wrote:

> For White-cheeked Geese lovers, since at least Nov 1
> a flock of 9 accommodating Aleutian Cacklers has
> been resident at Boiler Bay allowing very close study-
> 2 adults with obvious white collars and 7 juveniles
> without collars, although most of those show a sort
> of proto-collar with some amount of discernable paling
> below the neck border. On close look the juveniles are
> also distinguishable by differently-shaped narrower and
> more rounded scapular, covert, and body feathering,
> giving them a beautiful fine-scaled appearance.
>
> Most interesting to me is in watching them they seem
> to be functioning as a family unit. The group stays quite
> close together, the 2 adults seem to be a bonded pair often
> standing very close to each other, and one of the adults
> is noticeably larger (male?) and spends much of its time
> acting as a lookout and signaling the group if people or
> dogs get too close. No idea if individual Aleutian
> families are known to migrate together and maintain
> bonds into the winter, but given their direct flight
> path it seems reasonable.
>
> Phil

Join us on Facebook!