Date: 11/8/18 2:36 pm
From: Frank Vanslager via Groups.Io <Vanslagerf=<aol.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] A Note About Pelican's Pouches
All:

Robin Agarwal had a question for me about White Pelican behavior she witnessed and, when I got home, I looked in my The Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior, where I found "To maintain the elasticity of the pouch, pelicans perform pouch exercises, throwing the head back with the bill open, or even tucking the head down and turning the pouch inside-out over the breast."

When I turned to the title page, I found that David Sibley had autographed this award to me on November 5, 2002 at some kind of award day.  I remember that we talked for a minute, and that he mentioned that he started with a Questar.

Frank Vanslager