Date: 11/8/18 1:55 pm
From: Howard Wu via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Sully Northern Shrike (yes) and other info
Hi,

Today I finally managed to go out to Sully Woodlands again during lunch
(what a beautiful day!). Initially I did not see the bird, but after
walking to the field and looking back, I suddenly saw the Northern Shrike
landing on a telephone wire/power line southeast of the barn (this was
1:20PM). It then flew to the east, then north (behind) the barn, perching
on the top of a tree. It flew away for a bit, but returned to a wire,
apparently eating an insect it had caught (this was 1:50PM), before I left.

You can see my eBird report here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49761679

and I started a new page for the rolling log of the observation of this
bird at the following link:
http://www.travelerathome.com/2018_shrike/2018_shrike.html
(however, I do not plan to go there too often)

One piece of info: the last couple of times I went to Sully Woodlands, some
Fairfax County Park Authority staff members were doing some restoration
work. They have some trucks and tractors that they need to move in and out.
Today I had to move my car for them to get out. I suggest that, if you go
during the weekdays, leave at least one side of the road clear outside the
gate.
(Disclaimer: I am not county employee, this is just my personal suggestion)

Thanks,
Howard Wu
Herndon, VA