Date: 11/8/18 1:00 pm
Subject: Re: Could this be the year?
As a second reminder, if you have never heard one before, you really need
to play the call recording on your bird app(s), or go to You Tube or
XenoCanto to listen to bird calls -- now. Your first one, if this winter,
will likely be heard only, calling overhead. For example, I have HEARD
Pine Siskin and Purple Finch in Wake County this fall but have yet to see
one. The call sounds a lot like a Flicker call to me, but one syllabled --
TEER!. So -- you need to do more than just study paintings, photos, and
videos of Evening Grosbeaks if you have never seen/heard it before. * Learn
and know the call note(s)!*

Harry LeGrand

PS -- As with Merrill, I have seen and heard hundreds or thousands of them
in NC, and I have probably banded about 50 of them. The deep V marks on my
fingers have healed over time! But, it has also been 15-20 years for me as
well for getting one in NC.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:08 PM "J. Merrill Lynch" <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

> Birders,
>
> Some of you probably weren’t even born yet when evening grosbeaks were
> annual winter visitors to the Carolinas, often in large numbers. The last
> ones I recall seeing in NC were in Apex (where I lived at the time) back in
> the mid-late ‘90’s.
>
> Since then the irruptions in our area have essentially ended and the
> species has declined significantly across much of its primarily Canadian
> breeding grounds.
>
> There are indications that this winter has potential for at least a few
> birds to make it to our area. There have already been a number of reports
> in the northeast as far south as Maryland.
>
> So keep your eyes and ears open!
>
> Merrill
>

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.allaboutbirds.org_this-2Dcould-2Dbe-2Dthe-2Dwinter-2Dyou-2Dget-2Devening-2Dgrosbeaks-2Dat-2Dyour-2Dfeeder_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=knw070uBz314REA5D13-a-d454jJ4giofeLXM7oSIXM&s=PzgDX7Xe2eLEQe2b47oT6HYHFFTYvupgkusjAnOtV8c&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.allaboutbirds.org_this-2Dcould-2Dbe-2Dthe-2Dwinter-2Dyou-2Dget-2Devening-2Dgrosbeaks-2Dat-2Dyour-2Dfeeder_&d=DwMFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=R_feABdoUCJSKTL1KA6XDkbKT2v2TRVpB1lmX2Ys_lE&s=_wjOV0jL4wjlZdan59jmrwrPmOh6kjLd2i7Jz54kAe4&e=>
>
> Merrill Lynch
> Echo Valley Farm
> Watauga County, NC
> Sent from my iPhone