Date: 11/8/18 12:08 pm
Subject: Could this be the year?
Birders,

Some of you probably weren’t even born yet when evening grosbeaks were annual winter visitors to the Carolinas, often in large numbers. The last ones I recall seeing in NC were in Apex (where I lived at the time) back in the mid-late ‘90’s.

Since then the irruptions in our area have essentially ended and the species has declined significantly across much of its primarily Canadian breeding grounds.

There are indications that this winter has potential for at least a few birds to make it to our area. There have already been a number of reports in the northeast as far south as Maryland.

So keep your eyes and ears open!

Merrill

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.allaboutbirds.org_this-2Dcould-2Dbe-2Dthe-2Dwinter-2Dyou-2Dget-2Devening-2Dgrosbeaks-2Dat-2Dyour-2Dfeeder_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=R_feABdoUCJSKTL1KA6XDkbKT2v2TRVpB1lmX2Ys_lE&s=_wjOV0jL4wjlZdan59jmrwrPmOh6kjLd2i7Jz54kAe4&e=

Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga County, NC
Sent from my iPhone