Date: 11/8/18 12:06 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Henslow's Sparrow SMNWR
The Henslow's was back at the usual location at the helispot. The helispot is very wet now, and I flushed two snipe shortly after I entered. This put me in mind of the lucky folks who flushed the Yellow Rail a couple of years ago, so I picked up two rocks and did some Y rail imitations. No rails (obviously, from the subject line), but it set the sparrows off and they started popping up - a few Swamps, the Henslow's, and a bonus Sedge Wren. I'm a terrible pisher, maybe I'll take up clicking. Between Lighthouse Rd and the helispot I got a wren slam (Sedge, Marsh, House, and Carolina). Lots of common passerines on that stretch.

The Vermilion Flycatcher continues to engage in the dangerous behavior reported on ebird by S.K. Jones. It is landing on cars, bicycles, and, today, flew into someone's car and was on the dashboard watching itself on the inside of the windshield. It was removed by the car owner (fortunately birders).

At the Bay, Common Loons and Horned Grebes are increasing, and had a flying flock of 13 dark-winged scoters - too distant to ID to species.

A couple of Purple Gallinules, female L. Scaup, Wigeon at HQ Pond.

Gadwall on Picnic Pond.

Good shorebirds and hungry redfish on Tower Pond. Very small, very nasty mosquitos on trail to Tower Pond.

Didn't try for Flamingo. Matt

Join us on Facebook!