Date: 11/8/18 12:02 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Gillson Park Lake Watch #9 Thursday 11-8-18
Hello Bird People,

With the old beach house demolished I have been moving around a little
for my Lake Watches but today I did the watch from the old pier near
the dog beach & the harbor mouth at Gillson. This was the 3rd time
doing the watch from this spot. Today I was joined by Rich DeCoster
but in spite of his help not much was to be found except Red Breasted
Mergansers flying back & forth & in the lake.
But there was a huge flock (~1000) of feeding ducks (probably Redheads
& Scaup) although too far out to work with. They briefly moved around
when the coast guard boat went by.

The original forecast was for N.E. winds but that was put off until
the afternoon leaving me with mostly north winds. So many ducks flew
by but too far away as no east winds were happening to push them in.
Nevertheless, here's my short list.

Gillson Park Lake Watch #9 (7:30-10 a.m.)

COMMON LOON (1 flying south)
Mallard (2 flying south)
Redhead (18 flying north)
Bufflehead (1-M & 6 -F flying north & then came back & flew south)
Common Goldeneye (2-M flying south with 1 R.B. Merg)
Red Breasted Merganser (100's flying both north & south)
(Plenty of ducks flying too far out to I.D.)
Ring Billed Gull (5)
Herring Gull (10-12 flying over the lake)
Crows (2 on the beach)

In the harbor were one Canada Goose & a pair of HOODED MERGANSERS.
Along the pathways were Robins (12-15), one Song Sparrow & 6-8 Juncos.

A slow day indeed but Bird-Of-The-Day will be the fly-by Common Loon &
Runner-Up to the 2 Common Goldeneye flying by to the south.
Fancy Pants Bird Of The Day to the male Hooded Merganser in the harbor.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: