Date: 11/8/18 11:29 am
From: <ERPfromCA...> [sierra-nevadabirds] <sierra-nevadabirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SierraNevadaBirds] Another east side Snow Goose and a raptor bonanza
Yesterday Ed Harper and I spent the day in Sierra Valley (Sierra and Plumas counties) plus a quick visit to Martis Valley (Placer and Nevada counties).. There was a single juvenile Snow Goose with a large Canada Goose flock just east of Sierraville and the valley was absolutely CRAMMED with raptors. In about 4 hours covering most of the valley we tallied (very conservative numbers) 137 Red-tailed Hawks, 17 Rough-legged Hawks (including two dark morphs), 16 Ferruginous Hawks (in my experience there, unusual for RLs to outnumber Ferrug), one Red-shouldered Hawk in Sierraville, 16 Northern Harriers, 8 American Kestrels, 3 Prairie Falcons, one roosting Great-horned Owl and one flying Short-eared Owl. To our great surprise, no eagles except for one very distant soaring POSSIBLE eagle spp.
During a quick stop at Maris Valley we re-located what was likely the same Northern Shrike seen there a couple days ago (perched on willows on the Placer County side). however, got only a quick distant scope look before it flew and was not re-found. The look was too distant and short to absolutely confirm that is was a Northern.

Ed PandolfinoSacramento, CA

In a message dated 11/7/2018 7:26:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, <sierra-nevadabirds-noreply...> writes:

There's nothing particularly unusual about seeing some Snow Geese this
time of year, but today's three Snows were only the third time I've
encountered this species in Nevada County (east side). An adult and two
juveniles were at China Cove, Donner Lake today. (The other times were
11/22/2005 at the Glenshire Pond and 11/24/2016 at Boca Reservoir.
Single birds in both of those cases.)

Martin

Martin Meyers
email: Martin (...AT...) SierraBirdbum.com
Photo website: http://SierraBirdbum.com
Truckee, CA

Join us on Facebook!