Date: 11/8/18 8:17 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Walter Cabot Paine, who loved creatures with wings
I count myself lucky to have known Walter C. Paine, who died last month
at 95, to have seen firsthand how one man with both means and desire could
transform a community. In an age of selfishness, he was a shining light, a
selfless man who devoted himself to science education among a number of
other philanthropic endeavors, and an example of how America could truly be
Great Again. When I graduated from high school in the late sixties America
was number one in the world in Math and Science; we slipped, plunged
really, since then. For example, more than 150 years after Darwin published
"The Origin of Species" there are still 100 million Americans that believe
the Earth was created in seven days. Walter placed his considerable
resources on the front line of science literacy. Long may he be remembered
and long may we follow his example and delight in the beauty of the Earth
and how it works.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/levin-walter-paine-remembrance#stream/0
link to the VPR commentary

Join us on Facebook!