Date: 11/8/18 5:09 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (07 Nov 2018) 41 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 1

Total: 41 513 7530

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Hank Davis, Howard Campbell, Joel Flachs, Lafang Flachs

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Howard Campbell, Joel Flachs, Lafang Flachs, Hank Davis, Jim
Balint
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny - Cloudy (10-100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000-19,800 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 47 - 60F, Winds West @ 15 - 20 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (55) and Turkey Vultures (80).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ What a difference a day makes! After yesterday’s
torrential downpour; there was nothing but blue skies today; deep blue
skies. They are almost as bad for hawk watching, but not quite. It
requires much more “work” – scanning constantly with binoculars. It is
Wednesday, so Howard was out bright and early with an offering of bird
food. Hank did likewise. More importantly, Joel had offerings of COOKIES!

<BR><BR>
At about 10:30, a juv. GOSHAWK [FOY] was seen soaring with a few vultures.
This was my first here in a few years. It gained attitude, maddeningly
right in line with the sun and drifted south. I notified Dave at Ashland
to be on the lookout.
<BR><BR>
While making a seed run to our storage shed, a late Eastern Phoebe was
found “palling around” with an exceedingly late Eastern Wood-Pewee. The
later was calling constantly [first drawing my attention] and gave a very
good, close look. Likewise, a COMMON RAVEN did a close flyby. Sadly, our
hawks seemed to disappear with the appearance of good background clouds.
What’s up with that? The clouds, originally predicted to be a 25% cloud
cover, eventually blanketed the entire sky.
<BR><BR>
We identified 47 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Harrier, NORTHERN GOSHAWK, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk,
Red-shouldered Hawk, COMMON RAVEN, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Eastern Phoebe,
Horned Lark, Palm Warbler, White-crowned Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple
Finch. New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was NORTHERN
GOSHAWK. [145 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Eastern Phoebe, Horned Lark, Palm
Warbler, White-crowned Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Buckeye. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals
(1): Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.65; Steps: 7,902; Floors: 17.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 145
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” NORTHERN
GOSHAWK.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks pretty good with morning background clouds, giving
way to clear skies, but with light favorable winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek