Date: 11/8/18 4:23 am
From: <fkaluza...> <fkaluza...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Re: Chickadees
With most of Michigan's old growth forests long gone, our smallest cavity nesters are probably finding more than enough cavities in smaller trees and the dead Ash that permeate the state.  No housing shortage here.  They'll even make use of places too small for House Sparrows.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 20:52, Marykaye Weinmann<marykayew...> wrote: I  live in the middle of 65 acres of forest on a bend of a river in the UP. My nearest neighbors are 1/2 mile away North and 4 miles to the south, so not suburbia. I must have a hundred Chickadees as well as other lovely little birds like Red-breasted Nuthatches, White-breasted Nuthatches, Goldfinches, Purple finches, later will arrive Redpolls, Tree sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, White Crowned Sparrows, and  Juncos among other little birds pass thru but there are far more Chickadees. I am wondering what behaviors/factors contribute to their success.

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 9:14:21 AM UTC-5, Marykaye Weinmann wrote:

Why are Black-capped Chickadees so successful in Michigan? Do we just see them more or are there really so many more of them than say, Nuthatches which are also cute little birds? Are they as plentiful in other states?
--
"Everyone you meet knows something you don''t" --Bill Gatest

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<b055bfb9-7fa0-4510-ab82-514ba08d810b...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<114219497.872863.1541679811467...>