Date: 11/7/18 6:07 pm
From: Gregory Hanisek via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] great Oct
Steve Mayo has spelled out the excellent October flight of raptors at
Lighthouse Point in New Haven this Oct (as compared to the 2 dreadful
preceding years), noting the series of cold fronts largely responsible.

As many of you surely have noted, October (and the start of November) has
continued to produce excellent numbers of many groups and species of birds,
not all necessarily driven by the same factors.

Noteworthy, for instance, has been the numbers of several species appearing
later than normal. One that's really jumped out at me has been Chimney
Swift. An eBird search for Oct-Nov 2017 revealed a total of 5 records
ranging from 1 to 4 birds. This fall (Oct through today) there have been 35
to 40 records ranging upwards to 30 birds and continuing as a trickle of
singles into Nov.

There are a number of other species that would produce additional
interesting comparisons. I might even get around to checking a few out.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury