Date: 11/7/18 4:50 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Catway Road
I hiked Catway Road on the back side of Figueroa Mountain today.  It was very quiet birdwise (a strong downslope wind at the start, and much of the forest was in deep shade all morning).  There were not a lot of Montane birds around apart from STeller's Jays, which seem particularly numerous this year.  I had one Mountain Chickadee in a mixed flock at the intersection of the Road and the Willow Springs trail; two more at the intersection of the main road and the Catway Jeep road (which was open).  otherwise, it was oak woodland and Chaparral birds, and not a lot of those.  The views were excellent, however.
After the hike, I drove down to Tunnell Road and had lunch in the Sawmill Basin.  Virtually no pines left here--it's an oak woodland now, and apart from Steller's Jays, there were no montane birds there either.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#27909): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27909
-=-=-
-=-=-