Date: 11/7/18 1:41 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Fort Sheridan Hawk Watch Wed 11-7-18
Hello Bird People,

Arrived at the Hawk Watch location at 9 a.m. to find that quite a few
people were already there & Adam Sell was the official counter. It was
supposed to become sunny later in the day but it stayed very cloudy
all day. This may have had something to do with lower numbers of hawks
than expected? It may have been a record day for Red Shouldered Hawks
with 13 seen by the time I left at 2 p.m. I saw about 6 of them & saw
4 very well. Remember that I only saw a portion of the hawks seen by
those with better vision but here's my list.

Great Blue Heron (1 fly-by)
Great Egret (6 fly-bys)
Canada Geese (~20)
Mallard (4 fly-bys)
Pintail (1 fly-by)
Sandhill Crane (~100 fly-bys)
Turkey Vulture (1 by itself & a group of 8)
Northern Harrier (2)
Sharp Shinned Hawk (4)
Cooper's Hawk (2)
RED SHOULDERED HAWK (13 official count, I saw fewer)
Red Tailed Hawk (~30)
ROUGH LEGGED HAWK (1 dark phase)
Gull Species? (2)

Land birds were Mourning Doves, Red Headed & Red Bellied Woodpeckers,
Blue Jays,
SNOW BUNTING (a few calling fly-bys), Eastern Meadowlark (1) & Goldfinch.
Adam reported Purple Finch & Siskins also flying by.

Not seen by me were one late Broad Winged Hawk (early a.m.) & 2 Bald
Eagles seen by Adam.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the dark Rough Legged Hawk & Runner-Up to the few well seen
Red Shouldered Hawks. After 5 hours in the cold & wind I had enough & gave up.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: