Date: 11/7/18 9:25 am
From: Michelle Landis <asmalllife...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Eric K., Binocular Advice
Chiming with binocular info....definitely go somewhere like Anacortes
Telescope or Cabela's or somewhere there is a large selection and you can
actually put them to your eyes. When I bought mine, I went to Anacortes
Telescope and said "Show me everything you've got in 10x42 under $500." And
you start looking at things. For my eyes, the best optics were Kowa's. For
$220. I have a pair of hand-me-down Zeiss from my Mom that cost over a
grand and they are nearly equal in quality. Yes, you cannot go wrong if
you can afford the holy trinity (Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss) but are my Mom's
new $2500 glasses ten times better than my Kowa's? NO, they are not.
Everyone's eyes are different, everyone needs different amounts of light
(really important) and react differently to colors (so the glass coating
can make a difference) and are comfortable with different size/weight in
their hands and around their necks. Best of luck!

Michelle Landis
Ferndale, WA

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:11 AM James Ullrich <jimullrich...> wrote:

> Hello Tweets:
> In reference to Eric’s request, I recommend the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 as the
> best on the market.
> Arguably the last binocular you will ever need to buy again, it is so good.
> Only advice is to never buy online, but always go to a local reputable
> dealer like Wild Birds Unlimited in Gardiner, WA. They have the EL 8.5x 42
> and other Top End binocs in stock. Call 360-797-7100 on availability.
> You always want to try out whatever you buy, put it to your face and work
> with the ergonomics of the particular brand you are testing. If you buy
> online, one never knows what may be shipped to you. Just ask USA Swarovski,
> Zeiss or KOWA and they will educate you on the “grey market”, of stolen or
> remanufactured binocs on the web.
> Yours for the Birds n’ the Bees
> Jim Ullrich
>
> Sent from my iPhone