Date: 11/7/18 8:03 am
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: nuthatches
Thanks for the responses. Haven't gotten back to this one. Seems from
replies that wbnu and rbnu get along usually... so, I'm really confused
as to what's going on. I shouldn't have even considered that as an issue
because it's not like the rbnu were at the feeder all day.
So far, I still haven't seen any white-breasted at the feeder though.
I'm not sure what's going on. I have a different feeder setup than I did
last season but, only one part is different. There's still a separate
suet cage on the pole and a hanging feeder that was around before. We've
had the wbnu in the yard enough, even on the peach tree not far from the
feeder. This just has me very curious... and confused.

One other change is the feeder set up for finches. The one I used last
season somehow started having moisture issues. It was a tube feeder and
it was used often... during the summer I even had an indigo bunting that
used it. But, the bottom half was ignored as the seed started to spoil.
The birds were smart enough to leave it alone.  But because of that, I
of course had to replace it.
So, I bought a new feeder... this time, it's like a tube only it's a
metal mesh... so the birds can eat from anywhere on it. Oddly, it has
attracted NO finches even though there's a mixed finch seed in there.
The other day we FINALLY got a couple finches at the sunflower seeds
but, no interest in that other feeder.  Is it the mesh? I usually have
birds that LOVE that mixture... at least enough to not ignore it this
long. Or, color? does that affect anything? The top and bottom are
BRIGHT yellow.  Any weird chance that a bright yellow feeder is keeping
the white-breasted nuthatches away?
Sounds like a crazy and unlikely theory there but, I just don't
understand what's up with them. New feeders, new baffle, etc... but,
same food and all the other birds are quite active on it.

Daniel Mason