Date: 11/6/18 8:52 pm
From: Charles Gates <cgates326...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Latest Records of the Oregon Bird Records Committee
I would like to thank the Records Committee for increasing the
transparency of the acceptance process and making this announcement.  I
look forward to more updates in the future.  I've always wondered why
the process was kept under wraps.  I think that's what caused the
widespread belief that Records Committee members met in dark corners,
had secret handshakes and probably participated in sacrifices of some
kind.  Bringing these decisions into the daylight of obol will be
beneficial to the committee and to the birding public.  Thanks for this
change and thanks to all Records Committee volunteers.

P.S. I never really believed there was a secret handshake.  ;-)

On 11/6/2018 7:09 AM, Nicholas Mrvelj wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to take a moment to share with you all the latest round of
> records that have come before the Oregon Bird Records Committee,
> between the dates of 08/26/18 through 10/28/2018.
>
> _ACCEPTED:_
>
> *CAWA-18-12*
> *A male CANADA WARBLER was unanimously accepted by the committee after
> two rounds of voting. It was seen by Casey Cunningham on 05/28/2018 in
> Fields, Oregon in Harney County. Seven members voted to accept the
> first round, and two voted not to accept.*
> *
> *
> *HUGO-17-30*
> *A very striking HUDSONIAN GODWIT was seen and documented by Mark
> Nikas on 05/24/18. The bird was discovered near the south jetty of the
> Siuslaw River in Lane County. It was accepted unanimously after one
> round of voting.*
> *
> *
> *PLVI-18-14*
> *Noah Stryker found a pair of PLUMBEOUS VIREOS at the Page Springs
> Campground in Harney County on August 17th, 2018. His photographic
> documentation was rather convincing, and the committee voted to accept
> unanimously after one round of voting. *
> *
> *
> *STAL-17-21*
> * A wonderful immature SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS was seen and documented
> by Wink Gross on an Oregon Pelagic Tours's trip out of Newport,
> Oregon. The bird, seen in Lincoln County waters, was most adequately
> documented, and the committee unanimously decided to accept after one
> round of voting. *
> _
> _
> _NOT ACCEPTED:_
>
> *EAPH-18-27*
> *A bird that was well documented and submitted as an EASTERN PHOEBE
> was unanimously not accepted by the committee after two rounds of
> voting. The committee decided that the bird was a better fit for a
> either an aberrant or worn SAY'S PHOEBE or a young, female VERMILLION
> FLYCATCHER. Three members accepted the first round, and 6 did not
> accept. Thank you **Jimmy Billstine for your submission.*
> *
> *
> *PLVI-18-13 *
> *A PLUMBEOUS VIREO was seen on 05/28/2018 by Casey Cunningham in
> Fields, Oregon, Harney County. Unfortunately, lacking photographic
> documentation, the committee deemed that there was not enough
> information provided to safely eliminate a dull Cassin's Vireo after
> two rounds of voting. The first round vote was two for accepting and
> seven for not accepting. *
>
> /Finally, two pending records have gone to the 2nd round./
>
> _2ND ROUND_
>
> *HUGO-18-31*
> *A HUDSONIAN GODWIT seen, documented, and submitted to the committee
> [...]

Mark Twain

Chuck Gates
Prineville Bird Club
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,
Central Oregon Oregon Birding Site Guide
http://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations
Oregon County Checklists
http://www.ecaudubon.org/county-checklists

https://www.avg.com