Date: 11/6/18 6:14 pm
From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Odd bird sound
That's it!  Thanks Hal.  It certainly could have been agitated at us for parking in his neighborhood.
Glenn

On Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 8:04:48 PM CST, Hal Mitchell <halmitchell...> wrote:

Hey Glenn and ARBird,
Hey Glenn,
I heard those exact same sounds for the past several days near Searcy (12+ individuals over the past 4 days).  It always takes me awhile to figure sounds out when the seasons change even though I have heard the vocalizations before (it can be quite maddening).  Anyway, I believe I have recorded the vocalization you are describing here in MS (https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/43352311).  It is very low almost growl.  I believe it is an agitation call of some sort.
Hope all is well,
Hal

On Nov 6, 2018, at 7:18 PM, Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...> wrote:
Today my wife and I were at Bald Knob, near one of the fields they let sit fallow this year.  In the weeds we heard a little grunt.  Just one.  Then another.  They came one at a time, a couple times it was a double grunt.  We listened for a while unsure if we were hearing a bird or a frog.  Then I finally spotted the source of the noise, a Sedge Wren.  I have listened to all the Sedge Wren sounds on iBird pro, and all the sounds on Allaboutbirds.  None of them was the sound we heard.  The grunt was a much lower note than their normal sounds.  Is this something the Sedge Wrens normally do?  We found it interesting and were quite surprised when we saw the bird.  I'm just sorry I wasn't able to record the sound.

Glenn WyattCabot

Join us on Facebook!