Date: 11/6/18 11:15 am
From: Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] RE: Flamingo article and dates
Trying to send again to the group. Error message said the group does not exist.

Thanks to Harry Hooper, Bobby Crawford, and Lucy Duncan on the history of Flamingos in the north Florida panhandle. I knew there was more to the story but couldn't find it online at the time. I've now found the report for June-July 1995 in the Feb. 1996 Florida Field Naturalist.

SUMMARY OF THE SUMMER SEASON [June-July 1995]

A surprising event of the summer season was Hurricane Allison, one of the few June hurricanes to ever strike Florida. Allison formed in the southern Caribbean Sea 3 June, moved north, and came ashore in the western Panhandle 5 June. Damage caused by the storm was minimal, but there were a few reports of storm-driven birds, mostly along the Gulf coast. One or more Greater Flamingoes in Franklin and Wakulla counties were probably related to the storm and a Western Wood–Pewee in Highlands County may also have been a storm-carried vagrant. The wood–pewee was photographed, and more importantly, its song was recorded, for the first verifiable record of the species in the state.

Field Observations:

>GREATER FLAMINGO: 1 or more singles along the Franklin and Wakulla coasts were probably West Indian birds displaced by Hurricane Allison: 1 at Dog Island (Franklin) 5 Jun (D. Evered); 1 at Florida State University Marine Lab (Franklin) 6 Jun (M. Kennison); 1 at the lighthouse at St. Marks N.W.R. 10 Jun (A. Whitaker); 1 at Lanark (Franklin) 21 Jun (photo in Tallahassee Democrat, 22 Jun) and 22 Jun (J. Cavanagh, D. Evered); 1 at Walker Creek (Wakulla) 16 Jul (J. Leppert).<

Bobby Crawford, the way this email list was set up, attachments are not allowed due to possibility of viruses. I have managed to grab your photo and put it in the photos file for NFLBirds, with credit to you. See if this link will take you there. You may have to be signed in to Yahoo to get to it. I don't remember right now who bought Yahoo. I do remember seeing that article when it came out.

--------
Fran Rutkovsky
Tallahassee, FL
<franrutkovsky...>