Date: 11/6/18 9:51 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] House Finches
House Finches have been hard to come by in my part of west Eugene for maybe a year now, with only one local nesting pair and very few in winter. For that reason the sudden arrival of maybe eight of them at my feeders today stands out. Is anyone else noticing an upsurge in HOFIs?

What do we know about their seasonal movements? They form flocks in late summer and early fall, especially on the outer coast, but I don’t know much about other movements.

Years ago Don Payne banded one in Pleasant Hill and I recaptured it in Eugene a week or two afterward, a very unlikely occurrence.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com