Date: 11/6/18 7:04 am
From: Than Boves <tboves...>
Subject: Re: Intersperses audio response
There are a number of really cool studies that definitely show there is interspecific communication (or "eavesdropping", because it is likely that the sounds aren't intended for the other species) among birds. Some of the best examples occur between nuthatches and chickadees (http://www.pnas.org/content/104/13/5479.short). In my personal experience, I use interspecific alarm calls/chips (esp. of the bolder spp. including wrens, gnatcatchers, vireos, titmice, and chickadees) to increase capture rate of a bunch of different species including lots of warblers.

Than J. Boves, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Arkansas State University