Date: 11/6/18 6:51 am
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: Intersperses audio response
Interesting question. I can say that using playback, I've called in
species that I was not playing. This is one of the reasons why I'm not
always easily convinced when people ID a bird by a single call note here
or there... some are just SO close sometimes... I've heard fox sparrows
and other birds sound like cardinals calls to me at times. It can trick me.
With playback, I was looking for what I thought I heard as a sedge wren
a time or two. I used the call that sounded like what I heard, one of
the sedge wren calls... only to lure in a common yellowthroat.

I can't say if any studies have been done on it but, with just how much
gets studied these days it wouldn't surprise me.

Daniel Mason