Date: 11/5/18 7:09 pm
From: Tamima Itani <tamimaitani...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose today
Hello everyone,

I was at Montrose this afternoon from about 1:00 to 3:30. The Harlequin Duck seen earlier in the day was no longer there. One was seen mid to late afternoon at Loyola Beach, possibly the same one, having decided to go back there.

The Western Grebe had moved to the break wall just east of the golf course and south of Montrose Harbor and was there for a while, in the company of 2 Common Mergansers, but I could not relocate it later on when I went to Recreation Drive near the golf course and walked over to the Lake from there.

At Montrose, on the public beach, there was also a Franklin's Gull. My apologies for not sending a message earlier about it, for those who may want to see it.

The Piping Plover was "shaking" a lot, worrying me, until I learned that this is normal feeding behavior, to coax prey to the surface (thanks Amanda T.. and Bonnie G.).

The Cattle Egret was still at 179th and 104th in Orland Park when I stopped by at 3:00 pm yesterday. It was on the East side of the retaining pond, stoically taking on the rain.

It's been an exciting November, so far!

Tamima Itani
Evanston, IL

Join us on Facebook!