Date: 11/5/18 6:35 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Summer Tanager in North Baker County
Russ,

No doubt about it and excellent find! I saw your report of a Western
Tanager earlier today in my eBird alerts via g-mail. No offense, but I was
secretly waiting to see if a Tanager photographed at such a late date
might be something more of the rare variety than a supremely late lingering
breeder. So it seems it is!

Wingbars are the distinguishing element that separates a Western Tanager
from a Summer or Scarlet. Lack of such a feature should always put one on
high alert. Never mind that honking bill.

Again, well done!

Bird on,
-Nick Mrvelj

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 6:12 PM Russ Morgan <morganreid...> wrote:

> Birders.
> This morning I observed and photographed what I thought at the time to be
> a late season female Western Tanager. It seemed odd and I spent a fair
> amount of time trying to photograph it. My impression of that bird nagged
> at me all day - its seemingly large bill with a curved culmen, yellow/olive
> wings with no wing bars, large/plump shape, and its overall rich yellow
> color. This evening I was able to look at my photo’s closely and believe
> that the bird is a female SUMMER TANGER. Thanks to Alan Contreras and Nolan
> Clements for sharing their expertise on my photo’s as well.
> Ebird list (with Linked map) with several photo’s is attached.
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49700196
>
> For those that don't ebird, the pond is located about 1/2 mile SW of North
> Powder, and the only access into it is via Hwy 30. This morning the birds
> was found on the southern side of the pond. It is public access, but
> because of the small size of the area and limited habitat I would recommend
> that anyone going there be especially careful about disturbance. I normally
> park at the first pullout and quietly walk the road around the pond.
>
> My apologies for not recognizing this bird sooner today.
>
> Good birding to all,
> Russ Morgan, La Grande
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!