Date: 11/5/18 6:12 pm
From: Russ Morgan <morganreid...>
Subject: [obol] Summer Tanager in North Baker County
Birders.
This morning I observed and photographed what I thought at the time to be a late season female Western Tanager. It seemed odd and I spent a fair amount of time trying to photograph it. My impression of that bird nagged at me all day - its seemingly large bill with a curved culmen, yellow/olive wings with no wing bars, large/plump shape, and its overall rich yellow color. This evening I was able to look at my photo’s closely and believe that the bird is a female SUMMER TANGER. Thanks to Alan Contreras and Nolan Clements for sharing their expertise on my photo’s as well.
Ebird list (with Linked map) with several photo’s is attached.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49700196

For those that don't ebird, the pond is located about 1/2 mile SW of North Powder, and the only access into it is via Hwy 30. This morning the birds was found on the southern side of the pond. It is public access, but because of the small size of the area and limited habitat I would recommend that anyone going there be especially careful about disturbance. I normally park at the first pullout and quietly walk the road around the pond.

My apologies for not recognizing this bird sooner today.

Good birding to all,
Russ Morgan, La Grande

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!