Date: 11/5/18 5:38 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Conservation Area (04 Nov 2018) 101 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 9

Total: 101 1502 55804

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 14:30:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter: Cindy Isenhoff

Observers: Cramer

Visitors:
There were a surprising number of visitors who walked or road bikes into
the park today. We greeted about 20 visitors in total, and spent a little
time with Emily and Aaron from University of Windsor.

Weather:
Completely overcast all day with East or Southeast winds. Temperatures
hovered around 10 C to 13 C the entire day. We had a very brief 15 minutes
of sunshine early afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
A surprisingly slow day for Raptors. Though the winds were out of the East
and Southeast, they were not strong, so I was surprised at the lack of
raptor migration today. The lack of sunlight hindered the creation of
thermals, and this late in the year when the larger birds are moving
thermals play a big role. We had only 6 species of hawks migrating today,
no falcons. We did see a 7th species with the resident Bald Eagles.

Non-raptor Observations:
American Crows were definitely on the move in the first 2 hours of the
count. The days count was 6900, and I'm sure there were more sneaking thru
the north edge of the marsh. Along with the Crows were many mixed flocks of
songbirds at such distance that they were impossible to make positive ID's.
American Goldfinch are still moving in number, and Blackbirds have slowed
down. No Great Egrets in the marsh today at all, but the Great Blue Herons
are still very visible. The duck population is changing a bit with a much
larger number of American Coots than last week. For a complete list please
follow this link
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49707564
Report submitted by Cindy Isenhoff (<akahawklady1...>)
Holiday Beach Conservation Area information may be found at:
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<d8910f07ff3d86c52222adb6f1c39949...>