Date: 11/5/18 5:19 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Seaside birds
Seaside (Clatsop Co.)

Jim Johnson and I birded The Cove this morning and later the south spit of
the Necanicum Estuary around the sewage treatment plant today. Jim saw one
each of ANCIENT MURRELET and CASSIN'S AUKLET just past the foam line at The
Cove. Hundreds of the usual sea ducks, grebes, and gulls etc. were also
there. We didn't see and Brown Pelicans, but we did see four HEERMANN'S
GULLS. SURFBIRDS and BLACK TURNSTONES totaled about 50 on the rocks
northwest of Seltzer Park.

At the south spit of the Necanicum Estuary from the north end of Franklin
Street we found two, possibly three PALM WARBLERS. Two were in pines north
of the end of Franklin; one was in the shorepines and berry bushes on the
east side of the sewage compound fence closest to the southeast corner. A
vocal BLACK PHOEBE was working the north quadrant of the vegetated spit. We
never encountered the large mixed species chickadee flock that is often in
the area that held a tranager last week. I suspect we would have had we
birded the neighborhood to the south.

There were many More HEERING GULLS in the estuary than last week and the
BUFFLEHEAD number has increased.

David C Bailey
Seaside Oregon

Join us on Facebook!