Date: 11/5/18 4:39 pm
From: Nick Bonomo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] recent migration notes (Evening Grosbeaks, RTLO flight)
Yesterday morning I spent a few hours at Ecology Park in Hamden. A moderate
flight passed through/over the park, about as expected in numbers and
diversity for the date. I met up with Paul Wolter for the later portions.
Highlights included 2 CHIMNEY SWIFTS (getting late), 2 EVENING GROSBEAKS
and about 10,000 COMMON GRACKLES. Paul had a FOX SPARROW. The hawk flight
was very light as of 1030a when I left. Julian Hough noted a particularly
strong flight of kinglets at Lighthouse Pt in Hew Haven.

Today I spent 2 hours late morning seawatching from the pavilion at Meigs
Point at Hammonasset Beach SP in Madison. The unquestionable highlight was
a flight of Red-throated Loons. I tallied 223; the largest flock was 24
birds and flocks of 5-10 were routine. Only low numbers of other birds
moving, including a single NORTHERN GANNET and my first LONG-TAILED DUCKS
of the year.

Just a reminder that inclement weather like this in November can down
migrant waterbirds on inland lakes, so those are worth checking.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com