Date: 11/5/18 10:24 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Western Grebe, Harlequin Duck, Piping Plover & Snow Bunting Monday 11-5-18
Hello Bird People,

Went to Montrose today in the hopes that the Harlequin Duck & Baird's
Sandpipers seen yesterday would still be there. Eventually found the
Harlequin but not the Baird.s. Also saw that
the perpetual PIPING PLOVER was still around as were other shorebirds
& the regular young
BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON.

Kurtis H picked out a duck along the inside of the fisherman's pier
but it was far away & so close to the pier it was hard to see what it
was. Kurtis sees better than I do & thought he could see the white
face spots but I could not. Walked out on the pier but the duck stayed
so close to the pier we couldn't see it. Walked to the very end of the
pier & looked back & verified that it was the female
HARLEQUIN DUCK so it stayed after all. Later others walked out on the
pier & got better looks than we did & as the duck was more in the open
I went out again for a better look after looking for shorebirds. Glad
I did as while looking at the duck 2 photographers called me other &
asked what the Grebe was that was near the pier. It was a big WESTERN
GREBE right where the one was last year in November. This was quite
the surprise to say the least. Nancy T called Andy Sigler on her phone
so he could see it too & Andy asked if we had ruled out Clark's Grebe
but I hadn't even thought of that. Turned it was not but I was happy
enough with it being a Western Grebe.

Among other birds seen on the beach & in the dunes were the continuing
PIPING PLOVER, 10 Sanderlings, 3 Dunlin, a Cooper's Hawk & a hovering
while hunting Kestrel. Also 91 Ring Billed Gulls & 6 Herring Gulls
plus 1 SNOW BUNTING back near the base of the pier.

In the Hedge Area the highlight was a flock of 20-25 PINE SISKINS that
flew around calling & then landed in a tree for good looks. I'd say it
was a pretty good day even if the Baird's were gone.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Western Grebe & Runners-Up to the Harlequin
Duck & the Piping Plover.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>