Date: 11/5/18 7:24 am
From: Kathy Hofer <kjhofer...>
Subject: [birders] Heartfelt Thank-You to all...
My husband Curt and I did not start “seriously” birding till 2011. We’d made some notes in our Peterson guide before then, but didn’t know there were such things as “life lists” or year lists or county lists or anything like that... We barely knew what warblers were... Shorebirds? We knew Killdeer and Spotted Sandpiper. All gulls were just “seagulls”. We were neophytes...

I was semi-retired in 2010 and offered to volunteer at Detroit Audubon. Richard Quick, the Treasurer (and past President) then, with the knowledge he imparted, changed our lives. He’s the one who hooked us up to what was, at the time, a “u-mich” listers group, and much to our surprise, we found that we knew Bruce Bowman from former bridge-playing days. Since then, it’s been a whirlwind of birding.

My thanks to ALL OF YOU on the list who’ve helped us over the years to find the birds! I would love to list you all but there are so many – I would feel horrible if I left someone off the list. You know who you are and we thank you all!

It really hurt my heart to read to controversy over the spotted redshank (sorry, Bruce, to even mention again). Over these relatively few years that Curt and I have been birding, the foremost thing that comes to my mind is how generous and kind everyone is in the birding community... I did read a few years ago about some bad behavior in the Upper Peninsula, regarding Connecticut Warbler. (That’s still one that we need!) And a few other incidents. But, in general, I think that birders are caring and conscientious. Let’s continue to be kind to each other.

Again,

A Heartfelt Thank-you to all,

Kathy Hofer

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org