Date: 11/5/18 5:27 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (04 Nov 2018) 116 Raptors

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (27): Susan Huffington, Fran Ansbro, Jeanne Macarro, Laura Rhoden,
Walter Borys, Harvey Rubenstein, Colleen Del Monte, Kathleen Pileggi,
Dennis Davis, Hank Davis, Gerry Teig, Michelle, Christian & Henry Scheive,
Patrick Millar, Don Manuel, John & Marilyn Flannery, Mary Jane & Bob Pahls,
Greg & Jen Nichols, Stacy, Susan, Julia & Claudia Silva.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 27,500-30,000 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 40 - 54F, Winds Light & Variable.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (75) and Turkey Vultures (80).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-5
<BR><BR>
----Golden Eagle ages: Imma.-1; adult-0; 1 unaged
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ I led our weekly Sunday bird walk at Bucktoe first this
morning, focusing on the main parking lot and sunlit edges of the hawk
watch meadow, where activity has been so great recently. 12 people were
out to help look. We saw 44 species highlighted by Wood Ducks, Brown
Creepers, Hermit Thrush, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Ruby-crowned Kinglets,
Purple Finch, Pine Siskin, Fox Sparrows, and White-crowned Sparrows.
<BR><BR>
Thanks Hank, for holding down the fort at “The Watch” as I led the walk.
<BR><BR>
OBSERVER Don “I’m an Observer, Damn it!” Manuel, of “Manuel Field Brew”
fame, was here. First calling a Crow a Peregine, but then totally
redeeming himself and regaining “observer status” with a PAIR of GOLDEN
EAGLES!! I stop, mid-blogging. Don you are the first to be blogged , then
instantly deblogged. [You may still want to wash off before handling
food!] In reality, it was a tough sky filled with deep blue emptiness from
which Don located quite a few hawks, almost all distant today, nearly never
pulling his binoculars down. GREAT JOB, Don!
<BR><BR>
Mary Jane & Bob were here with spare BBQ tanks offered for the site.
Later, Patrick delivered one. Thanks, guys!
<BR><BR>
In came word from Mike of a Cattle Egret [MG] [FOY] at Moccasin Run Golf
Course, not far from Cochranville. Mike also reported a GOLDEN EAGLE,
Great Egret and a late Lincoln’s Sparrow at nearby Wolf’s Hollow I went
to see the Cattle Egret after “work” today, seeing it and a female
Bufflehead.
<BR><BR>
We identified 49 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, GOLDEN EAGLE, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered
Hawk, Great Horned Owl, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Hermit Thrush, Brown
Creeper, Palm Warbler, Fox Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and
Purple Finch. New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was Brown
Creeper and Fox Sparrow. [144 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Horned Owl, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Hermit Thrush, Brown Creeper,
Palm Warbler, Fox Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple
Finch
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Eastern Comma. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0).
Mammals (4): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer,
Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.31; Steps: 12,454; Floors:
17.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season: 144
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Brown
Creeper and Fox Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks simply horrible with rain and very strong southerly
winds. A bad one folks!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: