Date: 11/4/18 4:12 pm
From: Christopher Loscalzo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] A very fine day of birding
Fall is such a great time of year for birding in CT. We went to several
locations today and saw exciting birds at each location. We started the day
by sea watching from Cornfield Point in Old Saybrook. We saw two late
Osprey, 11 Northern Gannets, and a Great Cormorant (seen with a DC
Cormorant, providing a great size comparison). Our next stop was at South
Cove in Old Saybrook. We walked the trail in Fenwick Grove and observed
waterfowl in the cove. Notable sightings: Ruddy Duck, Brown Creeper, and
Fox Sparrow. Our next stop was at the Salt Meadow Unit in Westbrook. We saw
a nice variety of birds there with the highlights being Purple Finch, an
Orange-crowned Warbler and a Nashville Warbler. We stopped briefly at
Leete's Island marsh in Guilford. There, we were impressed to see a tight
flock of 28 Greater Yellowlegs feeding in the marsh. Later in the day, we
visited Konold's Pond in Woodbridge. We didn't expect to see much as the
last time we were there a few weeks ago, we saw duck hunters (and no ducks).
We were pleasantly surprised today. The pond was full of waterfowl,
including Ring-necked Duck, Wood Duck, Northern Shoveler, Ruddy Duck,
Bufflehead, and American Coot. One of the coots was a juvenile. We took a
long look at that bird to make sure it wasn't a Common Gallinule. The rarest
bird (for this time of year) was a WARBLING VIREO that we observed feeding
in the low trees at the edge of the pond directly in front of us. All in
all, it was a fine day. We'll be out birding again soon!

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge