Date: 11/4/18 9:03 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Boiler Bay 11/2
I agree with Bob. If eBird allows a particular split, we should, when possible, take advantage of it - if we know how.

Sometimes it is easy and sometimes less so. For example, many of the towhees that winter here are not from locally breeding populations. Likewise Hermit Thrushes, creepers, Robins and so on. It is fairly easy to “split” your easily observable feeder towhees (the local ones are much less spotted than those of the interior forms), less so many others.

Gulls are inherently a problem owing to their habit of breeding with whatever is handy, but we see so few Iceland Gulls of the eastern forms that they stand out.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Nov 4, 2018, at 8:52 AM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
> 'Iceland' Gull: Just a suggestion, & to everybody on OBOL. On eBird, and in spite of the AOU's decision to decommission Thayers Gull, it is still possible to list Thayers as an eBird subspecies: Iceland (Thayer's) Gull, rather simply as Iceland. Species come and go, as we know. (Bullock's->Baltimore->Bullock's Oriole; Green->Green-backed->Green Heron; White-tailed->Black-shouldered->White-tailed Kite; Audubon's->Yellow-rumped->Audubon's Warbler (Oh, wait, that last one hasn't happened yet). If we list Thayer's now as Iceland, then all those listings of TRUE Iceland Gull will be lost forever.
>
> Of course, I may be prejudiced. Bob OBrien Carver OR
>
> Friday, November 2, 2018, Phil Pickering <philliplc...> <mailto:<philliplc...>> wrote:
> > https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49624546 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49624546>

Join us on Facebook!